Keith Wood Case
Big Rapids, Michigan – Keith Wood Case – A former pastor, Keith Wood, was arrested for simply handing out brochures about jury rights on a public sidewalk in front of a courthouse. The court set a $150,000 bond to try to force Mr. Wood to be in jail over Thanksgiving away from his family and refused to appoint him a court-appointed attorney. We are representing Mr. Wood and fighting to protect his free speech rights.
Case Name: People of the State of Michigan v. Keith Wood
Case Number: 15-45978-FY
Assigned District Court Judge: Honorable Kimberly L. Booher
Current Status: The case is currently being considered by the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Complaint, Warrant, Statutes, and “illegal” brochure
- Subpoenas of Judge Peter Jaklevic, Magistrate Thomas Lyons, Prosecutor Brian Thiede, and Assistant Prosecutor Nathan Hull
- Prosecutor’s Motion to Quash Subpoenas
- Response to Prosecutor’s Motion to Quash Subpoenas
- Keith Wood’s Motion to Reduce Bond and for Discovery
- Prosecutor’s Response to Motion to Reduce Bond (alleging $150,000.00 was appropriate)
- Press Release – Motion to Dismiss
- Keith Wood’s Motion to Dismiss and Brief in Support
- Prosecutor’s Response to Motion to Dismiss
- Reply Brief in Support of Motion to Dismiss
- Judge Booher’s Opinion and Order Regarding Subpoenas
- Brief in Support of Application for Leave to Appeal
- MLive.com – Judge orders former pastor arrested for handing out jury nullification fliers.
- Fox 17 – “I was speechless:” Man charged with felony for passing out jury rights fliers in front of courthouse.
- The Washington Post, Eugene Volokh – Felony prosecution for distributing pro-jury-nullification leaflets outside courthouse.
- MLive.com – Free speech or jury tampering? Former pastor goes to court in divisive case.
- MLive.com – Pamphlet handed out by former pastor could lead to ‘lawless nation’ says prosecutor.
- San Francisco Chronicle – Prosecutor: Obeying pamphlet would lead to ‘lawless nation’
- Houston Chronicle – Prosecutor: Obeying pamphlet would lead to ‘lawless nation’