Criminal law refers to local, state, and federal statutes that define criminal offenses and specify the corresponding fines and punishment. Criminal statutes define public offenses or wrongs committed against the state or the people.
Criminal punishment, depending on the offense and jurisdiction, may include the loss of liberty, government supervision (parole or probation), community service, fines, and other penalties. There are some archetypal crimes, such as murder, but the acts that are forbidden are not wholly consistent between different criminal codes, and even within a particular code lines may be blurred as civil infractions may give rise also to criminal consequences. Criminal law typically is enforced by the government, unlike the civil law, which may be enforced by private parties.
Kallman Legal Group has defended numerous individuals charged with everything from simple misdemeanors to murder, and everything in between. A growing area of legal defense is the realm of computer crime. We have successfully defended clients wrongfully charged under “hacking statutes” for alleged misuse of E-Mail and social media.
TALENT AND EXPERTISE
- Kallman Legal Group has over 40 years of legal experience and has served the people of Michigan for three generations.
- Ensure that your case is given the time, thought, and care it deserves.
- We will take the time to explain your options and what legal remedies you may want to pursue.
- We are a family owned and operated business.
- Ingham County Circuit Court Judge James T. Kallman started practicing law in Lansing, Michigan in the 1950s and we carry on his passion for the law today.