Homeschooling is the education of your children through an organized educational program. Homeschooling was illegal in Michigan (unless the parents were certified teachers) until 1993 in the landmark case of People v. DeJonge, 442 Mich. 266 (1993). David Kallman was privileged to be the lead counsel in that case. He was also instrumental in the passage of the parental rights statute in Michigan was protects the rights of parents to control the upbringing of their children, including in education (MCL 380.10). Michigan has now become one of the most homeschooling-friendly states in the country. All parents are free to educate their children with the best educational programs at home.
Kallman Legal Group has handled hundreds of homeschooling cases across Michigan. In a field as complex as home education law, it is crucial that you have counsel who is familiar with the law. Unfortunately, many local school districts are not familiar with the current homeschooling law. Often times, we are able to resolve any issues with homeschooling before anything is filed in court. We have been the Michigan counsel for the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) since 1983.
TALENT AND EXPERTISE
- Kallman Legal Group has over 40 years of legal experience and has served the people of Michigan for three generations.
- Ensure that your case is given the time, thought, and care it deserves.
- We will take the time to explain your options and what legal remedies you may want to pursue.
- We are a family owned and operated business.
- Ingham County Circuit Court Judge James T. Kallman started practicing law in Lansing, Michigan in the 1950s and we carry on his passion for the law today.